The Danish Biobank Register
Combining data from all the biobanks participating in the Danish National Biobank initiative, the Danish Biobank Register gives researchers online access to 25.3 million samples
In this national collaboration, large biobanks based at hospitals, universities and other research institutions in Denmark regularly submit data to the Danish Biobank Register. Data from the biobanks can be linked to disease codes and demographic information from national administrative registers on an individual level.
Aggregated results about the available biological material is displayed to researchers around the world through a web-based search system, to date containing information 25.3 million biological samples from 5.7 million Danes.
The following biobanks are available through the Danish Biobank Register
- Danish National Biobank | More than 1 million new samples per year + PKU cards: blood spots from all newborn Danes since 1982 (more than 2 million samples) + SSI legacy collections (more than 4 million samples)
- Danish National Birth Cohort | More than 600,000 samples from pregnant mothers and their children
- Copenhagen Hospital Biobank | 50,000 samples collected annually
- The Danish Cancer Society project Diet, Cancer and Health | Samples from 57,000 cohort participants
- Patobank | More than 17 million tissue samples from national hospitals
- COPSAC | Studies involving children with asthma
- DD2 | Type 2 diabetes research
- The Danish Blood Donor Study | Research on why blood donors are more healthy than the average population
- Danish Cancer Biobank | Blood and tissue samples from Danish cancer patients
- Region Zealand biobank | Contains the Næstved and Lolland Falster population cohorts
- The Danish Twin Registry | The oldest national twin register in the world, containing information on 86,000 twin pairs
- OPEN Open Patient data Explorative Network | Research samples from the Region of Southern Denmark
The available information can be linked to the following
- The Danish Civil Registration System | Contains individual information such as gender, date & place of birth, citizenship, identity of parents, place of residence
- The Danish National Patient Register | Contains information on all hospital contacts, department, date & time of admission and release, treatment, and operation
- The Danish Pathology Register | Contains information on all pathological examinations carried out in Denmark, investigating pathology department or practicing pathologist, type of investigation, gross description, microscopy description, conclusion and/or diagnoses, and coded diagnoses based on the Danish SNOMED
Search for biological samples in the Danish Biobank Register
Gain an overview of biological samples available for health research in Denmark within minutes. The Danish Biobank Register gives researcers online access to combined data from all the biobanks participating in the Danish National Biobank initative.